The McLain's

My photo
Our journey began October 2005 when we met in our Single's class at Prestonwood Baptist Church. We were engaged in June 2006 and were married on November 17, 2006. JP works for ROMCO as a Product Support Sales Manager and I will begin teaching part-time for the Dallas International School in August 2011. We have one little boy, Merit Cross. God has truly blessed our family.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Construction Party Decor

 
I always design an emblem for Merit's birthday partys. For this birthday it was M McLain's Construction Co. #3 Est 9-15-09. The scanned image doesn't look very good but the printed one looked great! I made stickers and cupcake picks with these.

I bought this adorable construction site play set off Craigslist this summer because I knew it would make a perfect place to display the cupcakes. The cupcakes were "dirt cakes"; yellow cake with chocolate nutella icing and oreo cookie crumbs.

I made "mud balls" Oreo truffles and put those in the back of a yellow dump truck. They really did look like large clumps of mud.

I also made chocolate hammers which were large pretzel rods with chocolate covered marshmallows as the hammer heads. They looked so cute!

Merit's cake was made from using one 8 inch round cake pan and one small 4 inch round pan. I stacked them and covered the cake with chocolate nutella icing. The finishing touch was lots of Oreo cookie crumbs and then I dug out part of the cake so it would look like the construction equipment was really going to work!

Caution tape was hung throughout the kitchen, entry way and dining room. I printed large construction signs to hang also.

The main food was in the dining room and the desserts were in the kitchen.
 
I made the food tags to look like construction signs. This sign read, "forklift fruit". I tried to come up with construction names for all of the food items.
 
Builders BBQ Brisket and Pipelayer Potato Salad
 
 Merit and I made lots of dump truck art work leading up to his party. This is his feet made into dump trucks and the other is a dump truck made from tearing up tiny pieces of construction paper and gluing it on the truck. His work looked really great on display!

I made his birthday sign using large sheets of orange card stock. I cut 7 sheets to look like construction cones and then cut out letters for his name, a cute polka dot dump truck and a polka dot number 3. I can't believe he's 3! Orange and yellow ribbon was used to tie the sign together.


Cute signs for the door in the kitchen. These signs were larger versions of the picks I made for the cupcakes.


Merit's invite, birthday photography, birthday boy ribbon and his construction emblem that I designed.

I used our orange electrical cords to wrap one of my wreaths and then adorned it with caution tape and his construction emblem.

The front yard decor.

In the backyard, we had a construction themed obstacle course for the kids to run. JP and Papa 'D' designed it and the kids absolutely loved it!
 
 


No comments: