The McLain's

My photo
Our journey began October 2005 when we met in our Single's class at Prestonwood Baptist Church. We were engaged in June 2006 and were married on November 17, 2006. JP works for ROMCO as a Product Support Sales Manager and I will begin teaching part-time for the Dallas International School in August 2011. We have one little boy, Merit Cross. God has truly blessed our family.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Official Diagnosis

JP went with me to see Dr. Juturi and to hear the results of the biopsy. We had to wait all weekend but we had a great weekend! We had so much fun with little Merit. We took him to the Pumpkin Patch and to the Fall Festival at PWood. God gave me an amazing amount of comfort and peace all weekend long. I had joy and happiness despite the circumstances. God is good and he never leaves the side of his children. I know He will take care of me! So...Dr. Juturi met with us and explained that I have a blood disorder known as Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. It is not a very common form of Leukemia to have. It is a treatable form though. She told me that CML is caused from a chromosomal mutation. It is not something you can cause to happen and it is not hereditary. My body just decided to start making an extra chromosome named the Philadelphia chromosome. Wow! This was all pretty overwhelming. JP sat listening with his head lowered and I sat up straight and tall trying to comfort him and take in all of the info. I could. God gave me such strength, composure and calmness during this time. Dr. Juturi told me she would monitor my blood counts weekly to see how my body is repsonding to the medicine. I will immediately begin taking an oral chemotherapy drug named Gleevec. The doctor told us of the most common side effects and of course this scared me a little. I don't like the thought of not feeling well and not having energy to do all of the things I enjoy. I left the office feeling thankful that I did not have Acute Leukemia. Praise Him for answering our prayers. I know I am in His hands and he will take care of me. He knows that I need to be here for Merit and JP. We are praying that the side effects are minimum and that the medicine works quickly!

No comments: